On Idling Away Time
There is a particular kind of afternoon in Bangalore, somewhere between the second cup of filter coffee and the evening traffic building up on the main road, when time seems to stop asking anything of you. The ceiling fan turns at its usual unhurried pace. Somewhere outside, a vendor calls out, selling something you cannot quite make out from indoors. And you sit there, doing nothing in particular, and for once you do not feel the need to apologize for it.
I have spent a good part of my life being suspicious of such afternoons. Law trains you that way. Every hour has a client attached to it, every minute a fee, every pause a cost you will answer for later. Idleness, in that world, was not just unproductive. It was almost immoral, a small betrayal of the people counting on you. I carried that feeling long after I stopped needing to.
But somewhere in the last few years, I have started to make peace with idling, and I want to write about why, because I suspect a fair number of us are still fighting the same old guilt.
The myth of the wasted hour
We tend to imagine our days as a ledger. Hours spent working sit on one side, hours spent doing nothing sit on the other, and somewhere in our heads a stern accountant tallies the columns each night. By that logic, an afternoon spent watching the crows argue over a mango tree, or reading three pages of a novel and then just staring at the wall thinking about nothing much, counts as a loss.
I no longer believe this. Idling is not the opposite of a life well used. It is often the quiet machinery behind it. Every essay I have written, every chapter that finally clicked into place, arrived not while I was straining at my desk but while I was doing something that looked, from the outside, like nothing at all. Waiting for water to boil. Watching the rain gather over the trees near my window. Sitting on the balcony after dinner, not thinking about anything in particular, until suddenly I was.
There is a reason old Bangalore houses had verandahs built wide enough for a chair and nothing else. Someone, long before productivity culture arrived here, understood that a home needs a place built entirely for doing nothing.
What idling actually does
I think what we misunderstand about idle time is that we assume it is empty. It rarely is. When the mind is not being pointed at a task, it does not switch off. It wanders, and wandering has its own quiet usefulness. A worry you had been avoiding finally surfaces and gets looked at properly. A half formed idea from last week suddenly finishes itself, without your permission, while you are doing something as unremarkable as peeling an orange.
This is not a new observation. Writers and thinkers have said versions of it for centuries. But it is one thing to know it and another to actually let yourself sit still on a Tuesday afternoon without reaching for your phone or telling yourself you should be doing something else.
I notice this most now that I manage my own writing and publishing. There is no office forcing structure onto my day, no colleague passing by to make me look busy. The temptation, oddly, is not to be lazy but to fill every gap, to treat rest as another task to be scheduled and ticked off. That is its own kind of trap. Rest that is scheduled and monitored is not really rest. It is just work wearing a different shirt.
A small defense of doing nothing
So here is what I would say, to myself as much as to anyone reading this. Let a Tuesday afternoon be unproductive sometimes. Let yourself sit on the verandah, real or imagined, and watch the light change without narrating it into some grand insight about life. Not every idle hour needs to justify itself by eventually producing an essay or an idea. Sometimes doing nothing is simply doing nothing, and that is enough.
The city outside will keep moving regardless. The traffic will still build up by six. The vendor will still call out whatever it is he is selling. But for an hour, you do not have to move with it. You can just sit, and let the fan turn, and let the afternoon be exactly as slow as it wants to be.
I used to think idling away time was a failure of discipline. I am beginning to think it might be one of the last disciplines left worth keeping.

Comments
Post a Comment