Bangalore : A City that Remembers Even When it Forgets
Bangalore, Bengaluru, City Life, Memoir, Indian Cities, Church Street, Jayanagar, Cubbon Park, Blossoms, Writing Life
I have lived in Bangalore long enough to watch it argue with itself.
One side of the argument is glass, traffic, and the word opportunity. The other side is a narrow street after rain, a bookshop that still smells of old paper, a house in Jayanagar where the rooms feel larger than they should because the children have left.
I was not born here. Raichur came first courtyard, tulsi, the particular smell of wet earth when the monsoon finally arrived in North Karnataka. Bangalore was the city I grew into. Law school. Courts. Firms. The long years when the city was becoming “the Silicon City” and we were all supposed to keep pace.
I did not keep pace with everything. That turned out to be useful.
The Bangalore I walk, not the Bangalore I read about
People write about Bangalore as if it were a product launch. Startups. Weather that used to be famous. Traffic that is now famous for the wrong reasons. Metro lines drawing new maps over old ones.
All of that is true. None of it is the city I sit down to write.
My Bangalore is the stretch of Church Street when the light is low and two people share one umbrella because they have not yet decided what they are to each other. It is Blossoms on a Sunday, when a man who has spent the week in meetings stands in an aisle and remembers that he used to read for no reason. It is Cubbon Park on a bench that has seen better decades. It is Basavanagudi silk and stubborn family workshops that will not sell just because a developer has a plan. It is Jayanagar after the children fly the nest, when the house is suddenly too quiet and two people have to learn how to be a family again.
I have put those places into stories because they put themselves into me first.
Rain is still the city’s best editor
Bangalore rain does not ask permission. It arrives, flattens the afternoon, and leaves the air smelling of leaves and dust that has finally been washed.
I trust rain more than I trust most descriptions of this city. Rain does not care if you work in a GCC or a chambers or from a kitchen table. It treats the old bungalow and the new apartment the same. For a few hours the city is forced to slow down, and in that slowing something honest appears.
When I write about Bangalore, I often start there not with a skyline, but with wet stone, a bus that will not come, a bookshop window fogged from the inside.
What the city takes, and what it keeps
Bangalore takes patience. It takes evenings. It takes the version of you that believed the commute would one day become reasonable.
What it keeps is stranger.
It keeps the first courtroom you walked into when you were still afraid of your own voice. It keeps the decision to leave a firm because a marriage needed more than eighty-hour weeks. It keeps the later decision to sit down and write, after sixty, as if the city had been waiting for you to notice that stories were happening on every street you used only as a route.
I have written a short non-fiction look at the city, and I have written fiction that uses Bangalore the way some writers use a village as a character that will not stay still. The romance in Threads of the Heart is not only between two people. It is between a man who comes back from elsewhere and a city that has moved on without asking him. The empty rooms in Jayanagar are not only rooms. They are what remains when a life has been successful on paper and quieter than expected in the evenings.
If you live here, you already know this double feeling: pride and grief in the same breath.
A city is not a backdrop
I am tired of Bangalore being used as wallpaper the way a film uses a pretty road and then forgets the people who actually walk it.
A city is the language people use when they are tired. It is the way a shopkeeper on a lane remembers your face after three years. It is the argument over a piece of land that is also an argument over memory. It is the techie in Blossoms who finds a letter from 1999 inside a book and walks to a bench because some part of him still believes the city can arrange a meeting.
That is the Bangalore I try to put on the page.
Not the brochure.
The one that remains after the rain.
If you have a street, a bookshop, a park bench, or a house in this city that will not leave you alone, I would like to know its name. I read the comments.
From Bangalore,
Suresh Patel
Some of these streets appear in Threads of the Heart, The Empty Rooms of Jayanagar, The Sunday at Blossoms, and the other Bangalore stories. The books live here: https://sureshpatelauthor.com
Comments
Post a Comment